Moving Furniture/Sofa & Loveseat - 29" doorframe

My girlfriend and I just moved into a new apartment and are shopping for a living room set.  The doorframe to our living room is only 29" wide, which may limit our selection.  I am not positive on the height of the doorframe but I beleive it is somewhere around 80" tall.  One set we have been looking at is 88"L X 33"H X 34"D for the sofa, and 65"L X 34"H X 34"D for the loveseat, and we just wanted to be sure if this will fit through the door before we look further into it.  There should be no issues of weird angles or other obstacles to worry about.  Do you think this set will fit?  If we were to keep shopping, what would be our maximum Height and Depth for a doorframe of this size?

Thank you,

Hello Brian,

If it is a standard style sofa where the back is higher than the arms, you should be ok. I would like to see the height measurement closer to 32" or lower but this is doable on the 88" sofa. The height on the love seat it an inch higher than the big one so it will be on the snug side going through. If there are removable "rear" legs or back cushions or even material that can be compressed would make a big difference.

All in all they can be angled through but could be a little tight depending on the style.

Let me know if you have further questions on this.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.