Moving Furniture/Storage outside

Question
Hi Harry, I presently have a fully enclosed trailer with couches, bedroom furniture and miscellaneous household items parked in a friends driveway.  Will the furniture be okay if left over the winter and will the changing temperatures damage the furniture.  It was loaded and packed for a one day haul but ran into a few problems which has led to the trailer in a driveway indefinitely.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks

Answer
Hello Karen,

There are so many variables that can determine an outcome. It depends on the type of woods and fabric that is in there. The items should be wrapped in blankets and NOT plastic..........especially leather. There should be no food items or liquids that could freeze and break. Soft furniture should not have anything stacked in it or on it because it will leave deep indentations in the fabric. The trailer MUST BE moisture proof. The slightest bit of dampness will cause headaches. You could tarp the trailer if you are not sure. Sometimes mattresses will tend to have an odor after a few months depending if the trailer is old or fairly new. They should be in "mattress bags". If the wood furniture doesn't have blankets on them it can cause condensation on the furniture and sometimes drawers can swell. The moisture barrier is the big thing and it should be kept dry as possible. A product you can get from Home Depot or Lowes is: http://www.damprid.com/  There are other brands but something like this can be placed throughout the trailer and will help pretty well.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky