Moving Furniture/storing exspensive

Dear Harry i have been storing furniture in one of my rental

houses. i need to rent this place and find proper storage. I have a large steel container but it gets cold here in kansas city so i didnt know if that would cause damanage to the wood
or not

We have storage companies here but that could be very exspensive.

where and what would be the safest measure in storing these beautiful pieces. Thank you, need your help, mike

Hello Michael,

If the furniture is of a fine quality, the best storage is a climate control facility. You could store it in the steel container but it will need to be 100% moisture free! Items need to be wrapped in blankets and DO NOT wrap anything in plastic. DO NOT stack or store anything inside sofas or chairs. It will leave deep indentations in the material and will not easily come out. The cold weather makes the material "denting" quite damaging. Be sure it is rodent and insect free. There are products that you can buy that are placed on the flooring and in the load that remove any moisture or dampness from the air. The container is doable but not the best choice. If you are looking to save on expenses, this would be your best bet. If the items are antiques, you might want to think about climate control. If furniture has some cracks or cracking in its surface, the extreme cold combined with the hot weather can open those cracks up. I recommend wiping the furniture down with a "furniture conditioner". This will help against the elements.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.