Moving Furniture/Will my chair fit down hall and into room

QUESTION: I am buying a new chair and want to make sure it will fit down my hallway and into the Nursery.  This is the chair

Product specs:
Height 39.5"
Unit Width    39.5"   
Depth 38.5"
Width/Arms 22"   
Height/Arms 26"   

The entry to the hallway is 35-36" and then immediately opens up to 38" wide hallway. The door way to the room is a standard 32" door way...  Will it fit? Any advice would be appreciated!

ANSWER: Hello Tom,

Thanks for including the link for the chair. The height measurement is usually measured to the "top" of the back cushion. If needed the back cushion can be compressed (unless it's removable) and the height would be lowered about 4". This is still going to make the height a snug maneuver. Normally I would say it can be angled through but the narrow hallway provides little room to angle the chair. There is not a lot of space approaching the 32" doorway to tip the chair on its side and swing it through. I think after a bit of squeezing that it will make it through but on the tight side. Sometimes the base can be removed to gain several inches. I would like to see a chair that is similar but has a "FINAL" HEIGHT MEASUREMENT  of 34" or less. This could happen with back cushion and/or legs or base that are removable.

A 32' doorway is a good standard door and if the hallway area was wider I WOULD FEEL BETTER. I think it is possible but it will be tight.

Let me know any thoughts and if I can help you further.

QUESTION: Thanks Harry.  

I checked and the legs of the chair can be removed, which will save about 3".  I don't think the cushion comes off, but you are right, it can be compressed down. Also, I confirmed the height of the chair is indeed measures from the "top" of the cushion.

Also, a bit more info on the hallway. there is another door diagonal to the entrance of the room we are trying to put the chair in. Do you think this might give us the room we need to angel the chair?  you can see what I am talking about in the link below (its a diagram of the hallway/room.  The room in the diagram with the furniture in it is the room where the chair will go.

Hope this helps clarify.

Hi Tom,

That is a great diagram site, I will be checking that out!  The feature of having removable legs is a big plus. I do not see any major difficulties with maneuvering the chair down the hallway and into the doorway. The diagonal doorway is a good item to have but between the legs and compressing the back cushion, I don't think you will have to use it.

All in all you should be ok with the delivery. Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.