Moving Furniture/Will my couch fit?

QUESTION: There is a couch I would like to buy that is 38"W x 82"D x 38"H. My door measures 77.5"H x 32"W. Would it be possible at all for the couch to fit through my door?

ANSWER: Hello Hannah,

It depends on the type and style of the sofa itself. It needs to be a "standard" design where the back is higher than the arms. I am basing my answer on a straight shot from delivery truck to final room location. The 38" height of the sofa is going to be on the tight side going through but it is doable. I would like to see it about 2" lower. Are there back cushions that would make a difference either by removing or compressing them? If no back cushions is there extra material on the top of the back where it could be compressed? Is it possible to remove the "rear" legs? Anyone of these options will make the maneuvering a lot more manageable.

So, If you could answer some of these questions it would shed some light on what may take place. Also, if there is a link to the sofa......please include.

Let me know what you think and we can go from there.

QUESTION: Here is a link to the couch I am considering.

Hello Hannah,

Thanks for including the link to the sofa. From what I can see, I believe the 38" height is to the TOP of the back cushions. You could call the store and see if that is correct and find out if the legs are removable. If the framed back height is 38" and can't be lowered by leg removal, I would rather see you get a lower back height sofa. One thing that concerns me is where the side and back of the chaise section meet. If they meet at a 90 degree angle and the height at that point is higher than 32"...........I have my doubts on angling but I can't see behind those back pillows. When an arm and back meet and are the same height, that measurement should be less than the width of the door.

So, see if you can find out any info from the store and let me know.

Keep me posted,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.