Moving Furniture/couch fit

QUESTION: Wow, what an incredible service you offer. Thanks in advance.  
Want to purchase a reclining sofa and put it into a bedroom down a hallway.  
Walking down the hallway with 9 foot ceilings, the couch needs to make a left turn 76" inches down the hallway and through the door.  The hallway is 38" wide.  The door entrance is 80" high and 31" wide.
The couch is 41" high at the back.
Overall depth is 39".
Length is 84".  

Many thanks.  debby

ANSWER: Hello Debbie,

The sofa you want to put in that room is just to big to be able to maneuver. Most recliner sofas are made with removable backs and most likely yours had this feature. However, with the backs removed there are still two other problems. The length of the sofa as well as the depth. When the sofa is stood on end it is taller than the door frame. Normally it would need to be turned to face the doorway but it can't be turned because the depth is more than the width of the hallway. It would end up wedged solid. You may have to think about a 2-seater recliner sofa. The sofa length MUST BE LESS than 80" and should have removable backs. The depth can be around 40". A sofa like this will fit.

All in all whatever sofa you pick, it MUST BE LESS than 80" long. The sofa needs to be stood on end and turned into the doorway so it has to be lower than the top of the door frame when that happens.

Let me know if I can help you further. You can always send me a website on a sofa you like.

QUESTION: Thank you Harry.  I will not order that couch.  the other option is a loveseat recliner with console that is  79 inches long and same 39 depth and 41 high.  If the hallway is 38 inches I'm guessing it won't fit either?

Hi Debbie,

The love seat does have a chance IF the back are removable. The 79" sofa length will only give you 1" of clearance as it stands in the doorway. This means that the measurements MUST be EXACT. I would feel more comfortable with at least a couple of inches but this is doable if the numbers are right and the backs come off. Many reclining sofas have a lot of cushioning on the sides that will compress when stood on end.

You will have to contact the store and see if it has removable backs. There are a lot of factors that determine the angling. The arm height combined with the width of the hallway determine if it can be turned into the room. It also depends on the space on the other side of the doorway for swing room. That is why I think the option of removable backs is the safest option. If there are no walls on the other side of the door frame, the loveseat maybe able to be swung through the doorway with the backs on. I want to give you my overall opinion from the information I have here.

Let me know your thoughts and If I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.