Moving Furniture/Can I get the couch fit in my basement?

Hi Harry, Hope you can help me,

Looking at purchasing a couch for my recently finished basement. Couch dimensions are 85L X 35H X 38D. Needs to move down a stairway to a small landing, 180 degree turn to the stairs leading to the basement. Both stairway ceilings are sloped. Basement door is 32" x 81", ceiling height on the landing is 98". Landing area is 79L X 37.5W. I'm not sure what else to measure.

Will it fit?

These are product dimensions, I did not measure the couch myself. I have no idea if it includes with feet, but they can be removed and the couch will be "wrapped" to reduce bulk.

Hello Lisam,

The factory dimensions are usually with the legs attached. So without the legs the height should be lower which is a good thing. You did a very good job of measuring. The most important measurement is the height over the landing. There looks like there is plenty of ceiling height to tip the sofa up vertically and turn it to head down the stairs. You said that the ceiling slopes so I am assuming that the end of the slope and the 98" ceiling height over the landing meet so that the sofa can be tipped up.

I think it will work out ok. The sofa might have to rest on the last stair in order to tip it up. That is why I am concerned about the ceiling edge where the sofa needs to clear. There should be 91" of clearance above the sofa as it is being stood on end as it rests on the last stair.

All in all, I think you are going to be ok. You can send me a picture of the landing area if you want. Also, if you have a name or link to the sofa you want I will check it out.

Let me know what you think,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.