Moving Furniture/Thanks

QUESTION: I just discovered my new apartment does not have freight elevators. I'm panicking that my vintage couch will not fit in the regular elevator! Can you tell me if it will fit or not? THANKS!

Couch dimensions:
104.5in L X 30in D X 20in H (the legs will be off for the move, otherwise it would be taller)

Elevator dimensions (received from apartment management):
Elevator door ~ 77”height x 41”width
Elevator carriage ~ 88”height x 83”width x 103”diagonal

ANSWER: Hello Jamie,

Unfortunately the elevator space is NOT big enough. Diagonal angling will not get it in far enough to get the doors closed. The only way I can see it happening is to either have a "sofa disassembly service take the sofa apart or check with the building management and see if they would allow to move it on top of the elevator car. I did many this way over the years but with todays rules and regulations and insurance concerns.......they may not let it be done that way. I can go further into detail on moving it in the shaft if you find out it can be done that way. Other than those 2 options, I am afraid it just won't fit.

Let me know your thoughts. You could also have it hoisted up to the apt. depending on what floor you are on and the access but it would be pricey.

QUESTION: Thanks, Harry. I was afraid of that :(. I have a message in to the management company about moving it up on top of the elevator car; I will get back with you if they say yes. The windows on the 12th floor do not open, so that's not a realistic option. I'm also checking about carrying it up the stairwell (it's not heavy, as couches go!). The couch base is a solid carved piece of teak, so I am not sure if disassembly will work either.

I figure I'm only renting for a year until I know the area well enough to buy. If worse comes to worst, I'll put the couch in storage and be darned sure to measure any potential home for purchase before I sign anything!

Thank you so much for the quick turn around and info. I would have been heartbroken to find that my family heirloom couch was stuck in the apartment lobby with no place to go! Now I at least have a feasible back up plan :).

Hi Jamie,

You would probably be better off putting it in storage considering the cost and the wear and tear on the sofa. If it did come up on top of the elevator, you need to see if there is enough room in the hallway once the doors open to angle the sofa out. Then from that point it has to make it to your apt. You might be better off contacting one of those furniture rental stores and see about renting a sofa for a year. Whatever you go through in bringing the sofa up, you will have to do again when you move out.

Keep me posted,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.