Moving Furniture/Fitting sofa through door

QUESTION: Hi, my house is 100 years old, making it difficult to fit some furniture inside. My doorway is 29" wide (with door removed)and 77" tall. Here are the dimensions of the sofa I want to order:
L38 x W84 x H37
Floor to top of arm 28"
Inside arm to inside arm 65"
Leg height 3"
Seat Depth 21"
Seat Height - Floor to top of cushion 21"
Seat to top back 20"

ANSWER: Hello Sue,

The 37" height is going to be too tight for the 29" door unless you can lower the back height. If it's a recliner sofa, the backs usually come off. If not, are there removable back cushions or rear legs that are available on this model? I would like to see the back height about 33" or lower for this doorway. I am also assuming that it will be a straight shot for the sofa carry.

Let me know your thoughts. The 28" arm height makes it more difficult the higher the back is. Send me a picture of the sofa if you have a link. Some sofas can have their backs compressed but it will need several inches.

sofa pic
sofa pic  
QUESTION: Here's a link with a good picture:

If I take the legs off, the floor-to-arm height will be 25". Does that make a difference?

Hi Sue,

Thank you for including the website as well as a picture. If the legs are removed.......especially the rear ones, it will give enough room to make the angling possible. I noticed that the back cushions are attached but they are several inches higher than the frame back. This means that they can be compressed as they go through the doorway. With the legs off and compressing the back cushions, you should be in good shape.

All in all based on the above info and a straight shot in, there should be no major difficulties.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.