Moving Furniture/Huge Couch.. Small door

I just spent a small fortune on a sectional couch for my childrens play room upstairs... the small piece of the sectional measures 82 inches in H and 32 inches W. My door way measures 80 inches H and 31 inches W without the door being on. The problem is like I said this is upstairs down a hall and there is no turn space available. The hallway measures 13-14 ft long and 41 inches W. And this is the small piece of the sectional.... Do you have any suggestions on how I maybe able to get it to fit? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hello Aisling,

I think you have the H and W measurements mixed up. I am surmising that the 32" is the sofa height and the 82" is the length. You didn't say what the depth was but it really isn't going to matter that much because with a 41" hallway width, there won't be any maneuvering space. If the 32" was the would have a chance. With a narrow hallway, a sofa needs to be lower than the door frame height so that it can be "turned" into the doorway. I am also assuming that the sofa is a "standard" style where the back is higher than the arms. Unfortunately there is no maneuvering that will get it in as it stands on end. Is there any other way into the room such as a big window or porch? The only other option might be a "sofa-disassembly service". If there isn't anything like that in your area, you could check with an upholsterer. You said that this is the small piece.............anything larger would never have a chance.

Let me know if you have any further information on measurements or even photos of the set and hall entry area. You could think about removing the entire door frame (by a carpenter) and this could give you more than 82" in height but it wouldn't work for the bigger pieces.

Keep me posted,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.