Moving Furniture/Large recliner sofa through small door

Question
QUESTION: Harry - we are trying to get a 86"L x 38"D x 35"H recliner couch into a door that is 29 1/2"W x 80"H AND once you get through the door, it has a wall to the immediate left and another door to the immediate right.  My husband, father and brother tried every way they knew how to maneuver the couch, but couldn't get it through, saying it lacked about 3-4 inches (I don't know from which angle).  Can the couch get through the door, and if so, how?

Thanks so much for all you do and for sharing your experience and expertise!
Penny

ANSWER: Hello Penny,

The first thing you have to check is the sofa itself. Most recliner sofas today are made so that the backs are removable. There is usually a "flap" of fabric on the bottom of the backs(on the back of the sofa). The flaps are held on with Velcro. Lift it up and you should be able to see where the back slides into a track which is part of the sofa frame. There are many different types of locks, bolts or clips that hold it on but it can be figured out. If there is no flap on the back, tip the sofa onto its front and look underneath. Also, some recliner sofas are built on a "rail" system. Tip the sofa over and see if there is a metal rail of sorts going the length of the sofa. If its a 3- seater sofa, each section is bolted to this rail. There are about 8- bolts or screws that hold all 3 sections to the frame. If you undo all these bolts, you end up with 3 individual seat sections. It it a lot of work and takes a little time but if your sofa has this feature, it can be moved in.

In your description I am not sure if the sofa is going through the door then continued straight ahead or does it have to go into the door on the right. If it is the door on the right, I don't see it happening. The sofa would need to get through the doorway and be stood on end which means you would need a 92" ceiling height (at least). If there is a wall opposite the first doorway, that wall would need to be at least 50"-52" away. After all this you would have a sofa standing in this space and it would need to be turned to face the door on the right then be tilted back so that the bottom could be pulled through that door on the right. I just don't see any of this taking place.

So, I guess I need to know if it is the door on the right or is it going straight. Is there a lot of fabric on top of the sofa that could be compressed going through a doorway.

Let me know your thoughts and if you have further info on all this. Any pictures of the entry area would be of help also.

Keep me posted,

Harry

Couch underside
Couch underside  

Door and hallway
Door and hallway  
QUESTION: Harry - thanks so much for the quick reply.  The couch is on a rail system, but only the center piece is bolted - the two end sections are riveted on, so I can't take them off (I don't think).  The couch is going through straight - but I wanted to let you know that is down a narrow hallway (and that we have some maneuverability with the door to the right).  I've attached three pics for your review.  

I can't wait for your response!

Penny

Answer
Hi Penny,

Thank you for sending the pictures but I only received 2. If the rail is riveted on, I wouldn't want you to mess with that. Did you happen to see if the backs were removable. It looks like there is a flap of material on the bottom edge but I can't be sure. If it has to be moved in "one piece" it will be possible but on the snug side. As one piece, the sofa needs to be lifted and carried towards the doorway. The sofa needs to be tilted over at a 45 degree angle so that the backside is slightly facing up and the front is facing the floor. In this position the "top" of the back should be facing the "RIGHT" side of the hallway as it is moved. As the sofa enters the door frame in its 45 degree angle position, it needs to be raised as high as possible in the door frame and the other end needs to be almost touching the floor. You could put a blanket on the floor and rest that end on it if you didn't want to hold it up as it's being maneuvered and you could slide the sofa end and the blanket through the doorway but don't let the blanket get bunched up. AS the first end of the sofa gets through the door frame, that end must be kept as high as possible until the other end is through. So the sofa would be going through the doorway in the shape of an elevated "see-saw". It will be snug so make sure that there are no nails or staples in the door frame or even on the wall as it travels down the right side of the hallway. If the sofa backs were removable it would be easy to get it through. If it was a 2-seater reclining sofa, the backs could be placed in a semi-reclined position and carried through this way. On a 3-seater-sofa you can't recline the center but it is still possible to tip it over an get the first end through, angle the center and follow through with the last end.

So that is pretty much it.  All in all it is possible but on the snug side and keeping the first end high is important. Let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks,

Harry  

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky