Moving Furniture/Moving a sofa downstairs

Question
We have two Handcock & Moore Sundance sofas upstairs in our great room (dimensions 38.5 (36.5 with cushions removed) x 84 x 46 inches; arm height 26.5inches). We would like to move them downstairs to the family room. The staircase measures 36 inches from banister to the wall then the sofas need to turn in a pretty wide open landing space and move down a two more steps with an hall opening of 39 inches. Will they fit?

Answer
Hello Diana,

Did the sofas get up to the great room this way? If they went up then they will come down. However, to answer your question the sofas will fit within the staircase width. They will have to be raised towards the ceiling as they are maneuvered around the landing. They will need to be tipped over as they are carried down so that the sofa back rides OVER the banister. I am hoping that there is plenty of height over the landing but it should be ok if the landing is plenty wide.

Let me know if you have any further information or questions.

Thanks,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky