Moving Furniture/Moving a sofa through narrow doorway

Question
Hello,

My family and I have just moved into a new property and our sofa is still in storage. We have really narrow doorways and we can't figure out if our sofa will fit or not. If not, we are prepared to buy another sofa, but again we're not sure how to figure out what are the maximum dimensions a new sofa will have to be. So my question is this: what are the maximum dimensions a sofa could be to fit through a doorway of 65cm? That is, 65 cm at it's narrowest point when the door is open. To clarify things a little for you, the sofa will go straight into the next room after the front door (the door leads directly to the lounge). The sofa we would like would be a standard design whereby the arms are lower than the height. The height of our doorway is 190cm.

Also, a general question about material: we have never bought a leather sofa before but are considering it now. We have a toddler who is bound to spill things on it at some point. Is leather a good option?

Thanks a lot!

Emma

Answer
Hello Emma,

That is a very narrow opening for a sofa to go through. It is extremely narrow by American standards. The sofa length will not be an issue if it is a straight shot for the sofa to take as it seems to be. The depth should be LESS than 97 cm. The height is THE MOST IMPORTANT and should be LOWER than 72 cm! The sofa height can be higher if there are back cushions that can be removed or compressed and if the "rear" legs are removable.  It is EXTREMELY important that the arm height is LOWER than 65 cm! If you are interested in a "recliner" style sofa, many manufactures make their sofas with "removable" backs. Even though the backs come off, the arm height MUST BE LOWER than 65 cm. I know that some sofas in the UK can have their arms removed but you would need to do research on that. You could also check to see how much space you could gain if the door was removed.

Leather is a great option but you have to make sure it is "real" leather and not a man made synthetic. It is more expensive but will last for many years! Any spill will wipe off and a couple times a year it is a good idea to use a leather conditioner on the sofa. It protects the leather, keeps it soft over the years and protects against UV rays. You can also purchase an extended warranty with the sofa that will cover ANYTHING that happens to the couch. Some people don't like leather in the hot weather if you don't have air conditioning but real leather breaths and isn't as sticky to bare skin like the synthetic types. You can always place a throw on the seating area on the hot days. I personally Like leather and just purchased one a few months ago.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky