Moving Furniture/Rowe Hermitage sectional in a 28.5 inch doorway.

HI there, Thanks for answering everyone's questions so thoroughly!  We have a Rowe Hermitage Sectional coming in two parts in a couple of weeks.  They are taking the feet and the cushions off, and they tell me that this will equal enough to fit it through our doorway. Do you know whether it will or not? The measurements are Left Arm Facing Sofa Sectional (L31378800)    94L x 40D x 36H
Right Arm Facing Sofa (L33378800)    76L x 40D x 36H
We can swing the couch vertically and we can take off the door. Thanks!

Hello Suzanne,

I checked out the sofa online. It didn't say that the back cushions were removable but I guess that is what they meant by "taking the cushions off". With the back cushions off and the legs removed (I don't know what size the legs are).........the height measurement should be low enough to get through the door. The one measurement that is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT is the arm height from floor to top of arms. Even with the legs removed, the arm height MUST BE lower than 28"!

If all the above criteria is met, you should be ok with the delivery. If for any reason the 94" sofa has to be stood on end, the ceiling height will need to be at least 100".

Let me know if I can help you further or if you need me to clarify.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.