Moving Furniture/Shal I purchase this sofa, size help needed.

I am thinking of purchasing 2 sofas. They are both 40" deep, 33"  high at the back (31 1/2" without castors).From floor to top of arms is 24" without castors. One is 79" long, and the other is 72" long.
Do I stand any chance of getting them through a door that measures 30 1/2" wide x 76 1/2"? Many Thanks

ANSWER: Hello Kate,

It depends on the type and style of sofa. It would need to be the type of sofa where the back is higher than the arms. If it is this style, it will fit. If it is the style where the arm height and back height are all the same height and that measurement is MORE than 30", it WILL NOT fit. You might be able to squeeze this style through if there is some give with the material on the arms and top of backs. Send me a picture or link of the sofa if possible.

Thank you for converting the measurements to inches. Let me know if I can help you further.

QUESTION: Thanks so much Harry,

Here is the link to the largest one

I may not be lucky enough to make it on time now, I left it a bit late to ask the question to be honest.

Hi Kate,

I checked the sofa out on EBAY and I do feel confident it will fit through! The 84 cm height can be angled through in a horizontal position and the arm height is low enough.

Sorry to get back to you late. I was out all day because of the Thankgiving holiday.

You should be ok with this sofa if you get it.

Keep me posted,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.