Moving Furniture/Will sofa fit through door

I wonder if you can help I live in an old property and am having difficulty finding a sofa to fit through external door

The doors height is 207 cm opening widthe 77cm

The sofas dimension is Height 97cm Width 183 depth 100cm
I cant work it out i think if I turn it at an angle it will fit but not sure
Many thanks

Hello Lesley,

The 97 cm sofa height is too tight a fit for a 77 cm doorway. I don't know what the sofa looks like but it needs to be a "standard" style design where the back is higher than the arms. The arm height MUST BE LOWER than 77 cm. Is there anyway the sofa height can be lowered about 12 cms? Are there back cushions that can be compressed or removed? Can the rear legs be removed? If the height can be lowered, you should be ok. The sofa can be stood on end in such a way that the seating area goes through first and turned followed by the back section. It can also be carried through horizontally as it is tilted over at a 45 degree angle so that the front faces slightly to the floor. The first end through should be raised high in the door frame with the other end kept low near the floor.

If it is the type of sofa where the arms and back are the same height, the height measurement MUST BE LOWER than 77 cm!

So, unless you can lower the sofa height as I said, the 97 cm sofa height is going to be too tight.

Let me know if I can help you further or if you have some more questions.

Thank you,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.