Moving Furniture/Will sofa fit down stairs with 90 degree turn

Hello Harry

There are 2 sofas I am considering.  
The first is W=79" D=39" H=32" with the feet on, the link is
The second is W=74 D=37" H=36" with feet on, the link is

I'm wanting to know if I can get either of them from all hallway, down the stairs to a landing with a 90 degree turn and then down some more stairs.  The measurements are as follows;

The hallway is 42" wide with ceiling 96".  Door frame to go downstairs is 32" wide and 80" high.  Once in stairway it is 36" wide and 83" to start of the landing, height of ceiling is 91" down the stairs until the last stair and the ceiling that is flat over the landing which is 86".  The landing is almost a square - 31" from the base of the stairs we just came down to the wall and 32" from the other wall to the opening of stairs #2.  The height over the landing is 96".  Stairs # 2 are same width as #1 and then open to larger room.

Would love to get your input and if either of these sofas do not fit, what dimensions of a sofa should I be looking for?

Cheers, Julie

Hello Julie,

You did a very good job on the description of the areas where the maneuvering will take place!

I can't tell from the sofa links if the back cushions are removable or not but at least they can be compressed. Both sofas are doable but the first one needs to be able to stand in the doorway and there is only an inch of clearance so the measurements must be exact.  The second sofa(74") actually has a little better overall dimension for maneuvering. The back height is a little higher but the cushions should be able to be compressed down where needed unless they are removable. When the sofas reach the bottom landing they will need to be stood vertical in order to make the turn. The ceiling height is more than enough for this maneuver.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.