Moving Furniture/Sofa and Loveseat, small Width of door

Question
QUESTION: Hi!  I just purchased a sofa, loveseat combo tonight, the sofa is 90 x 39 x 40 H, and my doorframe is 34.5 wide, 79 high.  

I am not sure if the legs come off the sofa as of yet, as the store is closed, but the cushions can be padded down.  These are standard dimensions from the store, so not sure if the height is including the legs or not.

Will this fit... or should I call the store to cancel delivery.... as I have 48 hours to do so.  Thanks so much for your advice.

ANSWER: Hello Angie,

It depends on the type and style of the sofa itself. To even have a chance it must be a "standard" style where the back is higher than the arms which I'm sure it is.  I would like to see the height lowered to AT LEAST 38". If the top can be compressed, it will probably give you the lowering that you need. If the rear legs are removable, even better. A 34.5" doorway is a good opening.

ALL IN ALL..........I feel that you will be ok. I am assuming it will be a straight shot from truck to final room location. Send me a link to the sofa if there is one.

Keep me posted,

Harry

QUESTION: Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I don't know how to post a link, but the sofa is from Ashley Furniture, Darcy Sofa... Not a sleeper sofa, just the regular... It is not however a straight shot, its a 3 storey apartment complex, stairs and turns, it should be no problem getting it up those, there should be plenty of room to maneuver it in front of my door, as the neighbors door is at least 10 feet directly across from mine.. I'm just not sure how the guys are going to get it through.. Thought about cancelling the order altogether but then your response came through...

Let me know what you think after seeing the sofa on their site. Thanks again!

ANSWER: Hi Angie,

I found the sofa on the Internet. From what I can tell, the 40" height is to the top of the back cushions. I can't tell where the back is on that style. It seems to be the same height as the arms. The arm height MUST BE LOWER than 34"! That is an important measurement. If the legs are removable.............no problem.

I think you are still going to be ok. I don't think the arm height would be more than 34". The hallway being about 10' wide is a big plus!

Let me know if you have any further thoughts.

Thanks,

Harry

QUESTION: I am going to the store in a few hours to measure the arm height. So, it should be 34' max WITHOUT the bottom legs?  Or are you saying the legs being removed aren't an issue?

And the difference in between the arm height and the back height should be what, just 4 inches?

Answer
Hi Angie,

The arm height needs to be LOWER than 34" whether the legs are on or off. Whichever way its moved.............it needs to be lower than the 34". If the rear legs are removable, it is always a plus but it should not be a major factor with this sofa. If the back is the same height as the arms......that height measurement needs to be LOWER than 34". If the back is higher than the arms, that measurement should be Lower than 38" (total height with the legs on).

I think you are going to be ok but let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky