Moving Furniture/Sofa - Narrow door

Question
Sofa Picture
Sofa Picture  
Hi Harry:

I'm thinking of purchasing a sofa (image attached) the dimensions listed on the vendor's site are: 89.5" W x 33" D x 38" H. I've contacted the vendor and the quoted 38"H is with the legs on. All of the legs can be removed, and they have informed me that the height without the legs is 29". In addition, all of the pillows can be removed. The vendor's warehouse did not provide the arm height measurement;however, based on the picture the arms are definitely lower than the back height, which means less than 29" without the legs.

The door we have to get it through has an opening of 30 1/4" and height of 77". Unfortunately, I do not think the door can be taken off the hinges (quirky old house). There is a screen door on one side, which will restrict the opening some (~29 1/4") but it appears newer, so if it's ok with the landlord I may be able to remove it. Once it's through the door it's an open floor plan, so there are no other obstacles. Assuming the vendor gave me the correct measurements without the legs, do you think it would work? Also, do think it will work if the screen door cannot be removed?

Please let me know if you need any other information. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Answer
Hello Logan,

Thanks for sending the picture of the sofa. I don't see any major difficulties getting this through the doorway. The height can be lowered enough to make the maneuvering very manageable. You DO NOT have to remove the screen door or the main door. The back of the sofa should be protected with pads so as not to snag on anything on the frame as it goes through.

All in all you should be ok

Keep me posted,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky