Moving Furniture/Sofa through porch?

Question
Hi, I'm moving and am not sure if my sofa will fit in my new house. The front door is 30in wide x 77in high but this leads into a narrow corridor/porch area only an inch or two wider than the doorway, then another 30in door.  This means there is no side space for twisting the sofa once it's through the first door. The sofa is 36in high by 72in long by 38in deep.  There is also a chair which is 36in x 38in x 36 in.  Is there a way it can fit?  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hello KB,

It really depends on the type and style of the sofa. Is it a standard style sofa where the back is higher than the arms or is it a style where the arms and back are the same height? Is there anyway to lower the height (if it is a standard style)by removing or compressing back cushions? Can the rear legs be removed? A chair with a high back (more than the door width) has to be tipped on its side normally. However, you don't have the side space to do that or to turn the chair through the door so you need to get that back height lowered also to about 32" high if possible. Is there a window that could be used?.........are you on the first floor? I am assuming that this whole area is a straight carry with no turns to make.

Let me know what further info you can based on the above questions and if you can send a picture of the sofa and chair would be great. Even of the entryway in question. You can send them to   hlipsky@pre-movestrategies.com  (if there are more than 2 pictures). The whole thing comes down to whether the back height on the 2 pieces can be lowered.

Keep me posted,

Harry  

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky