Moving Furniture/sofa size

I was impressed by the answers I read in your blog.  I need to buy a sofa bed for a room that will serve several purposes.  It has to sleep two and be comfortable as a sofa.  
The room has a door that is 28 inches wide and only 79 inches high.  The only way to get the sofa in is "standing" and it cannot be tilted.  We tried an 86 inch tall sofa bed from pottery barn and it did not get in.  
We are looking at a smaller sofa from the same company:  PB Deluxe Upholstered sleeper sofa at Pottery Barn
76" X 40" X 34".  I am concerned about the 34".  None of the dimensions is less than 28 inches...I suspect that the 34" includes the "pillows" which can be removed, but I can't get anyone at Pottery Barn to verify this.  Any ideas?

Hello Augusto,

I looked the sofa up on Google and saw some pictures. There was even a small video on delivery. I do not know if the 34" height was to the top of the back cushions or to the top of the framed back. It is usually measured to the top of the back cushions. There was another photo in the description where it showed NO BACK AT ALL with the back pillows removed. Usually, the rear legs are removable on sleep sofa styles but I can't tell on this on...........probably not. The 34" is going to be pretty tight through a 28" doorway but if the height could be lowered to AT LEAST 31", it should make it through. VERY IMPORTANT: The arm height from floor to top of arm MUST BE LOWER than 28"!! Is there a Pottery Barn store in your area where you could go measure the necessary areas of the sofa? Did you try to ask for customer service when talking to them? Other furniture stores usually have this information through their customer service reps. If you can't get the right answers from these people, I wouldn't take the chance in ordering. If you can go to a store and measure yourself, you will have the answers you need. The arm height is very important and you really need to know what it is.

Let me know what you think or if you have any further info.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.