Moving Furniture/Will my couch fit through my door?

My doorway is approximately 84" tall, 31" wide (give or take an inch).

Will a couch that is 90" long x 38" deep x 40" deep fit?  These are the manufacturer's dimensions.  When I measured, if I push the cushion down, the height is closer to 34".  The couch also has 4 feet which I don't think can be removed, but without the feet the height would be 31".

If it will fit, how much clearance will I have in case my dimensions are a little off?

A picture of the couch is at

And thanks, this is a wonderful service that you provide!

Hello Mike,

The 40" sofa height is going to be a real squeeze! If you can get it down to the 34" mark, you should be alright with angling it through. The problem is getting the cushions compressed at the same time it is being angled through. If there is too much pressure against the door frame it could cause damage to the leather. Without the feet (especially the rear ones), it would go through the doorway very easily. I think if you can get the top compressed down to that 34" height you should be ok but like I said, most likely on the tight side.

Let me know what you think.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.