Moving Furniture/Fitting a large sofa through a small rec room door

Question
QUESTION: We're considering purchasing a sofa that is 92" long, 37" high and 41" deep. I believe the cushions are removable. I've asked the manufacturer if the legs are removable and how high they are.  From the picture on the manufacturer's site, I'm guessing they're about 3" high.

The sofa is for our basement rec room which is six steps straight down from the main level with a 30" jog to the left before the rec room door.  The rec room door is 29" wide and 78" high. The ceiling on either side of the door is 86" high.

We currently have an 89" sofa (36" high and 38" depth) with 5" removable legs that the delivery guys were able to get through the door 12 years ago. I assume they removed the legs before moving the old sofa but I don't recall. We'll be ordering the new sofa from the same furniture store.

Is it likely that the new 92" sofa can fit through the door?

ANSWER: Hello Dave,

When removing the legs on a sofa, the rear ones are the key. So hopefully the rear ones on the new sofa will come off. It depends on how much trouble they had getting the old sofa through that door. If it was a real squeeze, the new sofa could be a problem. I would like to see a sofa height of 33" maximum when dealing with a 29" doorway. The larger depth on the new sofa causes the height measurement to be tighter going through the doorway. If you can get the height lowered to about 32", you should be ok. If for some reason the sofa has to be stood on end, the ceiling height would need to be about 98". The sofa you have down there now is close in measurement but it only takes an inch or two to make all the difference. If the sofa doesn't have to be stood on end, the length really doesn't matter as far as the doorway goes. It all comes down to lowering that sofa height. The lower the better!

Let me know what you think and if you have any further info.

Thanks,

Harry

QUESTION: Thanks very much, Harry. This is very helpful. There is another model which we are considering which is 94" long, 42" deep and 33" high with the legs on. Presumably if the legs are removable on that model, we should be OK even if the legs are only two or three inches high. Does that make sense?

Answer
Hi Dave,

As long as you don't have to stand the sofa on end, this other sofa sounds good. If those rear legs are removable, you should be good to go! It will still fit through the doorway at 33" but will take a little more work than if it was 30"H.

Keep me posted................HAPPY NEW YEAR

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky