Moving Furniture/fitting a sectional through a narrow doorway

Question
QUESTION: Please help! I want to move my living room sectional down to my basement. I have no problem getting it down because I have a side entrance but the area I want to put the sectional has a narrow doorway. It measures 24" width and 78" height. I know this is very narrow! The sectional I have is crate and barrel axis 4 piece with a chaise. so there are four separate pieces. The height is 29", the arm height is 23" the depth is 37.5". the width varies per piece but the chaise width is 35.5". Please advise! thank you so much!

ANSWER: Hello Lizzy,

This is going to be a real squeeze and I think the worst piece to maneuver will be the corner section. All sections are going to be tight for sure. I looked the sofa up on Google to get a better idea. The sections should be stood on end and brought through that way as long as the arm height is what you stated. I would like to see the legs removed, especially the "rear" ones. That would give an other 2" in needed height reduction on the sectional as well permit the sofa section to be turned as it goes through the doorway.The whole process is going to be pretty iffy and really does need to have the legs removed.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Harry

QUESTION: I measured the height with the legs removed. Can it still be done?
Thanks again!

Answer
Hi Lizzy,

If the final frame height is 29" WITHOUT the legs, I don't think you are going to squeeze it through. If the height is lowered to below 27", you have a GOOD chance. The only other option is to have a carpenter widen the doorway..........if that's possible

Any thoughts?

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky