Moving Furniture/Moving a hide a bed

Want to purchase a hide a bed dimensions 32 "ht (back) x 24.5 ht ( front) x 74" width.  Length of the back of couch to front is  37".  The patio door that can be taken off is 28.5 inches wide and height is 6'ft 6".  Is it possible to manuover this on it's side through the door?  Thanks in advance for advice.

Hello Rich,

If this is a "standard" style sofa where the back is higher than should be in good shape. Sofa beds usually have small legs that are removable. If your sofa has removable "REAR" legs, it will lower the height another inch or two. The arm height must be LOWER than 28" to go through that doorway. With all this said, the sofa should be able to be brought through the doorway carried in a basic tilted over 45 degree angle stance. As the first end enters the doorway it should be raised as high as possible and the other end needs to be lowered near the floor. This will get it through.

If it is the sofa style where the arms and back are the same WILL NOT FIT unless the height can be lowered to below 28"!

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.