Moving Furniture/Moving King size bed into apartment building

Question
QUESTION: Hi Harry,

I found your website and answers to helpful when reviewing this week!  I hope you can help me figure my inquiry out.

In my current apartment is a King size bed, comprising two Twin beds pushed together on a metal frame with headboard.  (I did not move the bed in.)

I would like to buy a new King bed but want to make sure that it will fit in the building freight elevator, through my apartment unit door, and into my bedroom.  How can I best determine this in advance?

I measured the doorway of the apartment unit and it is 79" (standard?).  The ceiling of the freight elevator is very high (14'?) but I'm not sure about the entrance into the elevator (height).

From my front apartment door into the apt is a straight shot - no problem.  However the bed will have to round a corner to get into the bedroom -- there is a small square foyer ... closet door on right, bathroom door straight ahead, bedroom door to left.  How can i determine if the Kind bed can make this turn?

Thank you!

ANSWER: Hello Geelove,

The measurements of a kingsize mattress are 76" x 80" unless it's a California King which is 72" x 84". Thickness will vary depending if you buy a thick pillow-top style. The elevator door should be a standard height especially if it has a 14' height inside. You didn't say what the depth and width of the elevator was. These mattresses can make most turns depending on their thickness. Unless the turn towards the bedroom is a very tight 90 degree turn, I don't think there would be an issue getting it into that doorway. If you want to take a picture of the foyer with the turn, you could include it in a follow-up and I will take a look. I am pretty sure you will be ok with the delivery. If it was a one piece box spring I would have my doubts but there will be 2 individual box springs that won't be a problem.

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any further info to add.

Thanks,

Harry

Facing foyer
Facing foyer  

Foyer to Bedroom
Foyer to Bedroom  
QUESTION: Hi Harry,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I didn't measure the elevator depth and width but I can do that if you think it's a possible challenge?

I took three photos of the foyer and the turn and am attaching them here.  

In terms of the bed thickness, we are going to buy a W bed, and the website indicates:
- Mattress Height: 12in Plush Top
- Mattress has Edge Support: Two rows of Mega Coil Edge coils plus Beauty Edge edge springs and a panel foam encasement for great edge support.
- Box Spring Height 8.75in
- Low Profile Box Spring Height 5.5in (dont know what this is)

I'm sharing the details above because they may each factor in to whether it will be able to move in through the apt/foyer.

Your thoughts?  Other things I should do/check?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Geelove,

Thanks for the great pictures! From what I can see, the mattress you want WILL FIT THROUGH. It should enter the room at the very same angle that you took the picture (next to the light switch). As it enters the doorway it will be snug against the inside wall and the closet door frame. It will be able to be bent enough to go by that closet and into the bedroom. It will be rubbing the walls during the maneuvering. I believe a "low profile box spring is for people that don't want the bed height that a normal box spring would give.

The elevator dimensions are important because the mattress can't be bent enough in a tight space. Ideally it would be nice if the mattress could slide in diagonally (door to far corner) but this also depends where the door is located. The door height hopefully is at least standard height. I guess you can send me some pictures of the elevator also if you can. I would like to see the diagonal measurement MORE than 82".

Keep me posted,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky