Moving Furniture/Sectional Sofa - Narrow Door

QUESTION: Hi.  Thanks for this site - it's great.  I have a door with approx. 29" (maybe 1/4" more) to fit a sofa through.  The room is wide open after that with an 8' ceiling.  I'm interested in the linked sectional sofa:

I believe the legs are removable, though it isn't specifically stated.  Do you think it would be possible to get it through the door?  Thanks.

ANSWER: Hello Ken,

The sofa sections will fit through the doorway BUT the back cushions will need to be compressed several inches as it is being angled through. If the "rear" legs were removable it would be a big plus for the angling. As long as the backs are pliable enough to lower the height measurement at least 4", it will just be basic angling to get them through.

Let me know if I can help you further or if there is any other info I need to know.

Thanks and "HAPPY NEW YEAR"

QUESTION: Thanks again for the quick reply.  After shopping a bit, we are thinking about the following sofa as well:

The backs are removable for all of the pieces except the corner wedge, which is what I'm questioning.  Any chance that it will make it through (29" door opening), assuming the cushions can be compressed at the top?  Don't know if the legs are removable.  Thanks again.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for including the link to this sofa. In order to get the corner section through it will need to be compressed. If the back can be lowered about 6", it should be ok to angle through. On some of today's sectionals, the backs on the corner pieces are also removable. You could check with the store to see if it has this feature. Usually the legs on sectionals are removable too. If these can come off it will add another 2" to lowering the height.

All in all I do believe you will be alright with the delivery. There is enough play with the material to squeeze it through.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.