Moving Furniture/Sofa through front door and hallway

Hi Harry,

Can you help me please?  Firstly I'll give you the links to 3 sofas we are looking at buying - all the various dimensions are midway down the pages on the right:

I'll stick to cm as that's what first comes up on these pages and the numbers seem to be a bit more manageable!

My front door is 200x75cm.
The hallway through the door into the living room is 230x97cm.
There is a kitchen doorway 59cm after the front door on the right which measures 198x75cm.
There are stairs (going up) a further 15cm on the right.
In the hallway there is a radiator that sticks out 11cm and is located centrally opposite the kitchen doorway and stairs.
The doorway to the living room is 198x74cm.

Do you see any problems with getting any of these sofas in? I've seen from your past answers that it's important that the arm height is lower than the door width, which all are in these cases, but I don't want to leave anything to chance!

Really appreciate any help and advice you can give.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Hello Adam,

I checked over the links to the 3 sofas. The height measurements are all similar and are ALL TO HIGH for the front and living room doorways. Here in the states, many manufactures of reclining sofas make their units with "removable" backs. I think you should contact the store and ask if the sofa you like has this feature. With the backs removed there would be no problem with a straight shot from front door to living room. If they are not removable, the "GOVERNOR" model would have the best chance. It could be in a semi reclined position then lifted and tilted over at a 45 degree angle..............this would fit through the doorways but it is an awkward maneuver.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further info I should know.

Keep me posted,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.