Moving Furniture/will my sofa fit?

Hi. My doorway opening is 30 inches wide.

I want to buy a sofa that is 84 inches wide by 40 inches deep by 41 inches high.

Will it fit through my doorway?

Alternatively, I could possibly remove the window, this would leave a gap of 42 inches wide x 49 inches high.

This is the sofa:

Hello Ian,

Thanks for including the link to the sofa. The 41" sofa height it to high for a 30" doorway. I see from the link that the back cushions are about 6" higher than the back frame. They would need to be compressed down to the back frame and it would still be tight going through. I would also like to see the rear legs removed if they are the removable type. Ideally I would like to see the sofa height be LOWER than 34" (86 cm). That means that it would need to be lowered about 7" (17.78cm). The window opening will definitely work depending on what floor you are on.  The sofa would need to enter the window in a completely HORIZONTAL position. This would be difficult if on a higher floor. The sofa would be angled over at a 45 degree angle with the front of the sofa is facing down.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further information.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.