Moving Furniture/Sofa fit

Hi, can you tell me if my sofa will fit please we are trying to decide between two different sizes. The extra large  and the large in the following link Our living room door dimensions are W 73.5cm and H 194cm. The space between the living room door and the bannister is 123cm. Many thanks

Hello Faye,

Thanks for sending me the link to the sofas. The 88cm height is going to be pretty tight going through the doorway. The height should be lowered  about 7-8 cm. It seems that the back cushions are higher than back so if they can be removed or should be able to be maneuvered through.

If I understand the layout correctly, the sofa will need to be stood on end between the door and the bannister. If the extra lg. sofa could be tipped back towards the bannister so that the top of the sofa goes over the railing, it should be enough to pull the bottom through the doorway. I think the "LARGE" sofa is going to be easier to angle. The height will have to be lowered so you will need to make sure that can be done.

If possible, send me a picture of the area in question. Let me know if I have the layout wrong for what needs to take place. If the "EX. LARGE" sofa will be stood on end in this area, the ceiling height will need to be 233.68 cm to allow for tipping room.

Let me know if you have any other info to add.

Harry..............."HAPPY NEW YEAR"!  

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.