Moving Furniture/20' Conference Table - Any ideas

Hi Harry,
 I'm in a bit of a pickle.  Our office just moved and the top of our conference table will not fit in the freight elevator at the new location.  I understand that there are companies that specialize in this type of situation and even go as far as to put the table on top of the elevator.  Maybe even do a crane to the top floor and then come down with it?  It needs to get to the 9th floor.  Any ideas you have would be much appreciated.  The table top is in two pieces but one is larger than the other.   All together it's 20 ft x 4 ft.

Thanks so much!  Maggie

Hello Maggie,

In the past when I ran across problems like this, I always moved it by placing it "on top of the elevator". You should not need a special type of furniture mover to do this. You just need on that is willing to have a couple of people ride on top inside the shaft. You will need an elevator technician that will ride on top as well with the controls and they need to open the door at a certain point. The elevator is lowered towards the basement. The first floor doors are opened and the table is slanted down onto the top of the elevator. The table must be completely wrapped and protected before any of this takes place. I would wrap in furniture pads then over-wrap it in cardboard. Once it is balance on top of the elevator car with the men holding it vertically, the first floor doors are closed. The technician will take it up to the 8th floor where the doors on the 9th floor will be opened. The table will be slanted towards the opened doors and boosted out. It is not a very difficult process. HOWEVER, there is one big problem. It is up to the building management if they will allow this maneuver to take place. If they do, you have to make sure that your furniture mover has the proper liability to do the "elevator" job. If everything falls into place, you will be good to go.

If the stairs are big enough to make the turns, the table could be brought up that way. It is a slow process but it is very doable.

Another option is the use of a crane. This is a very pricey maneuver but might become your only option to make it work.

The final solution and more drastic is to have a professional cabinet maker divide the top into smaller units that would fit into the elevator. He would make them so that they all go back together with the same type of seam that you had originally. It might be the cheapest to in the long run. Whatever way it finally gets moved in, it will need to be moved out the same way.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.