Moving Furniture/Will my couches fit through the doorway?

I have a set of couches (sofa, loveseat, chair), the largest being 82 inches wide, all are 35 inches deep and 34 inches high (without legs but with plastic and cardboard packaging, probably could lose about an extra half inch all around if I removed packaging but if I remove there's no chance of return). The backrest cushion area is non removable and not very flexible up top.

My largest available doorway is 30-31 inches wide and 80 inches tall. I am only moving it a short distance from this doorway, and there is some room to maneuver on either side of the doorway. The ceilings are high once you get inside. The only issue is getting it through the door.

The delivery men gave up after one attempt to enter straight ahead, but now I am reading about the possibility of bringing it in vertically. Will this be possible? Thanks!

Hello Jin,

The 34" sofa height is possible if this is a standard style sofa (arms higher than arms). It will be snug and may bind because of the plastic but I feel it can get through. You can't take it through vertically if the sofa is higher than the door frame. It would need to be about 2" lower to maneuver. However, there is an angling trick that might work for you. I am assuming that the sofa will have a straight shot through the doorway.

With 2 people the sofa needs to be lifted and angled over at a 45 degree angle so that the backside of the back is slightly facing up and the front of the sofa is facing slightly to the floor. As the FIRST end enters the door frame, it will need to be lifted as high as possible in the door frame and the other end needs to be near or on the floor. The sofa must be kept on a 45 degree tilt during the maneuvering. It will be snug but should get through. As the first end gets through it needs to be raised higher until the other end gets in.

If this is a sofa style where the arms and back are the "SAME" height, IT WILL NOT FIT.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.