Moving Furniture/Fitting a sofa through door

QUESTION: Hi harry

Attached is a link to a sofa I would like to buy. I am interested in the left hand corner unit which is delivered in 2 parts according to customer service.

First part is 40" wide, 40" deep and 31" high (with feet off)
Second part is 62" inches wide, and same depth and height as first part.

My door is a standard 29" wide and 74" high.

Will it fit? Any help appreciated

Regards David

ANSWER: Hello David,

Thanks for sending me the link to the sofa as well as converting the measurements to inches. The measurements look very good and I don't see any major difficulties from the photo. The only concern I have is the opposite end of the left unit. I am hoping that the 2 backs that meet at a right angle ARE NOT THE SAME HEIGHT. When two backs meet at right angles and they have the same height, they can't be angled through a narrow doorway. I can't tell what is behind those back cushions. If the 2 sides did meet at the same height, that height measurement would have to be LOWER than 29"!

Let me know your thoughts and if you want be to clarify anything.

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick reply.

The sofa comes in two parts and each part is hooked together at the corner. This means I should be able to bring each part in separately and hook up in the room.

I think this should work. Would you agree?

Hello David,

As long as the sofa section that will have an arm at each end and that "hidden" arm (that I can't see)is the same height as the arm I can see, you will be fine. It gets to be a problem when the arm I can't see is the same height as the back.

There has to be some sort of an arm or back behind those cushions so that is what I was concerned about.

Maybe customer service can answer that.

Keep me posted,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.