Moving Furniture/Fitting a sofa through a doorway

Question
Sofa pic!
Sofa pic!  
I feel guilty asking you this, it feels a bit cheeky!! But thank you in advance...

We found a great deal on Ebay and with only a minute to go grabbed a bargain on two sofas. They measure 217x90x90cm and 155x90x90cm.  The doorway is 196x72cm.  It sounds impossible, but with twisting and turning, can it be done? I have tried and failed to do the math myself I'm afraid! Both chairs have legs that look in the picture to be about 15cm long.  The seller has not got back to me yet about whether they are detachable, but we are prepared to saw them off if necessary!!  The cushions also look as though they are removable.

Thanks ever so much for your advice!

Kate x

Answer
Hello Kate,

Thanks for sending a picture of the sofa. I am going to base my answer on the sofa having a straight shot all the way through the doorway and to the final room location. You need to lower the sofa height AT LEAST 12 cm! Even more would be better. If the back cushions aren't removable, you will need to compress them AS IT GOES THROUGH THE DOORWAY. It doesn't look like the legs are removable. If you decide to saw them off.........ONLY DO THE "REAR" LEGS! Those are the ones that cause the problems. Between working with the back cushions and the rear leg removable (if needed), the sofas should fit through the doorway. The sofa needs to be lifted and tilted over at a 45 degree angle so that the "backside" of the back is facing slightly up and the front of the sofa is facing towards the floor. As the first end enters the door opening it needs to be raised as high as possible in the door frame. The other end needs to be kept close to the floor. As the first end of the sofa gets through, it will need to stay raised high until the other end is through. This maneuvering should do it.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky