Moving Furniture/fitting a sofa through a standard door

Hi there!

We are planning on buying the Aico Leather/Fabric Windsor court sofa that has a dimension of 86x39x39. The wood is solid around the top of the back and the feet are not removable. Our main door is the standard 80x36. The space leading to the door is wide open and the space inside likewise is pretty open, with ceiling at 2-storey high. The question, of course, is will it fit through the door? And how should we maneuver it without damaging the door and the sofa?

Hello Alan,

Very nice sofa!  It is possible to get this through. A 36" doorway is a very generous opening. The sofa back top will need to be protected with blankets that are securely in place. You don't want them moving along the back as the sofa goes through he doorway. The sofa needs to be tilted over at a 45 degree angle so that the backside of the back is slightly facing up and the front of the sofa is slightly facing the floor. As the first end enters the door frame it must be raised high in the door frame as it is kept tilted over at a 45 degree angle. The other end can be placed on a double folded blanket on the floor. As the first end makes it through it must be kept raised high until the other end can be brought through. If there are 3-4 legs along the back of the sofa, it will take more precise angling to get by the legs but it will go through.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. I do believe this can be done but will need protection on the leather where it comes in contact with the door frame.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.