Moving Furniture/Fitting sofa thru a narrow doorway

Question
QUESTION: Here is a link to a sectional sofa I am considering. http://www.roomstogo.com/product/Sectionals/Lucerne-Chocolate-3-Pc-Sectional/121

I want to put it upstairs in my bonus room. Getting it up the stairs is not a problem, but there is a narrow hallway leading to the bonus room, and the doorway to the room is 29"x80". Since the hallway is narrow there isn't much room to angle the pieces from side to side.

It is a 3 piece sectional and I am really only worried about one piece, which is the left side and I believe is 93"L x 39"H. I'm not sure how wide it is but I think it is wider than the 29" doorway.

Any possibilities on getting this piece through?

Thanks.

ANSWER: Hello Neil,

Thanks for sending the link to the sofa. You didn't mention if the doorway was on the "side" of the hallway or at the "end" of the hallway. If it's off the side, there won't be enough room to lean the sofa back and pull it through the doorway from the bottom. Also, the 39" height is too tall for a 29" doorway. The height MUST BE LOWERED to BELOW 33"! That would mean that the legs would need to be removed and the back cushions compressed. If the doorway is at the end of the hallway, it is possible to get it through but that height must be lowered and that is the key.

Let me know what further info you might have and if you need me to clarify anything. Keep me posted,

Harry

QUESTION: Thanks Harry. The doorway is at the end of the hall, not off to the side. How low to you think I need to lower the height for the doorway at the end of the hallway?

Answer
Hi Neil,

If you can get the height BELOW the 33" mark, you should be in good shape for a straight shot in. However, after looking at the sofa again I have a question about the right hand side of that long sofa section. I don't know what the back height is behind those side,back cushions on that far end. IF THE SIDE ARM AND THE BACK ARE THE SAME HEIGHT..........IT WILL NOT FIT THROUGH! You would need to get that height measurement LOWER than 29"! When two ends meet at a 90 degree angle and are the SAME height, that height measurement MUST BE LESS than the door width otherwise there is no tilting or angling that will get it through.

Let me know if you need me to clarify. If the side of that sofa is the same kind of arm as the "left" end........you would be ok if the height is BELOW 33".

Keep me posted,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky