Moving Furniture/Moving sofa through narrow doors

Question
Hello Harry,

We are buying a second hand sofa but I am worried that it won't fit through very narrow doors and hallway/stairs of our first floor flat.

It is a leather sofa dimensions 79" wide, 36" deep and 32" high (31" with back cushions squashed down). It's a standard sofa with height from floor to the arm approx 22". The cushions and feet don't seem to come off.

Our front door is 26.5" wide by 76.5" through to a narrow hallway 31" wide leading straight upstairs. The door to the living room is 25" wide by 74" high.

Do you think the sofa can be manouvered to fit through, is it doable?

Thanks.

Answer
Hello Rebecca,

If you can get the height down to 31", it has a chance with the front door but it will be a squeeze. I am more worried about the living room door with it being 25" wide. I have my doubts on that one. I would like to see the height on a "standard" style sofa to be LESS than 28" for a 25" doorway.

Thank you for converting the measurements to inches.aLL in all I feel it is just to high for those narrow doors especially the 25 inch doorway.

Let me know if I can help you further........"HAPPY NEW YEAR"!

hARRY

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky