Moving Furniture/Pearce Sectional thru 28.5

My wife and I have been thinking about purchasing the following left 3-piece with wedge sectional:

We measured the bottom of the love seat and chair to the top of the arms, which measured 25" and figured that we would be able to stand it on end and angle/rotate through the door. However, when we saw the wedge we decided that we would likely not purchase the couch because we couldn't see a way that the wedge would fit through the door. Unfortunately, I did not measure the depth of the front of the wedge to the bisectional line where it meets the corners...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

ANSWER: Hello Ian,

The 38" height is measured from the floor to the top of the back cushions. I can't tell if the back cushions are removable. If they are removable it will lower the height 5"-6". If you remove the rear legs it would be another 2". That is close to 8" lower than the original 38" height. This new measurement would be very manageable to get through the 28.5" doorway but the wedge could still be a problem. From what I can tell from the picture, the wedge has a 90 degree back angle where the 2 backs meet. This style makes it very difficult for narrow doorways unless the height can be lowered to just LESS than the width of the doorway. So the height would need to be LOWERED to 28". I don't know if removing the back cushions as well as the legs would lower the height 10". Is there any way to widen the 28.5" doorway?

Let me know what you think. Do you happen to have a wide window that could be used.............or balcony etc.

Keep me posted,

QUESTION: Thanks for such a quick response Harry.

I measured the bottom of the wedge (without legs) to the top of the back and it measures 29"-29 1/8", which is unfortunate. It is also unfortunate that we cannot widen the door. The dimension is the total frame of the door and without some minor reno/construction, which I doubt we could do because we are renting, we won't be able to get that 1".

We are actually loading furniture from the balcony into the apartment because the main stairwell is very tight, and there is the one door that poses the problem. No window access.

Hello Ian,

The 29" is possible but it would mean jamming and cramming it through. This would not be good for the fabric on a brand new sofa. If the wedge had a "curved" back instead of the right angle style, it would be ok with those measurements.

There are companies that specialize in sofa disassembly. They would take apart the wedge at your premises, move it in and re-assemble it. When they are done you will never be able to tell they were there. However, you would have to have it done when you move out. Let me know if you want to go in this direction and I will give you a name of a company in MA.

There are so many styles of sectionals out there. You might just want to do research on a style that would meet the qualifications that are needed for your apt.

Let me know your thoughts and any other questions you may have on this.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.