Moving Furniture/Possibly the narrowest staircase ever!

Question
QUESTION: Hi Harry

Appreciate I might not have enough facts for you yet but I am moving to a house with a 23 inch wide staircase. This doesn't include handrails. I have two bucket chairs that I hope will fit as they come in just shy of 23 inches at their widest point. Hoping the movers (are strong and thin and!) can lift the chairs high enough so that the seat and legs are either side of the rails. Will I ever be able to get a sofa up the stairs? There's a 180 degree turn half way up but from this point there is no ceiling height restriction, just a banister. Or is it bean bags for me until I move again?!

Many thanks in advance.

Vivienne

ANSWER: Hello Vivienne,

Thank you for converting the measurements to inches. I think you have the narrowest stairway that I have ever come across on this site. A sofa would have to have an arm height LOWER than 23" or no arms at all. A sofa will need to be stood completely vertical on the staircase turn. If it was a standard style sofa where the back is higher than the arms, that back height will need to be lower than 26". I know that some manufactures in the UK make their sofas so that the arms a removable for deliveries. Do you have a porch or balcony that could be used?

Here in the USA there are some sofa companies that make "ready to assemble" sofas for tight spaces. I will include a couple a link to a couple of them so that you can see what I am talking about. They may ship to the UK.....not sure. Maybe there are companies in your area that sell this product. They are just as strong and eye pleasing as a regular purchased sofa.

http://www.homereserve.com/index.cfm

http://www.homereserve.com/index.cfm

There are also "sofa dis-assembly" companies that will take apart any sofa, move it in and put it all back together. The only thing is you will need to have this done again when you move out.

Let me know if I can help you further or if you have any photos of the area you want to send.

Thank you,

Harry

QUESTION: Hi again Harry!

Is there a limit to the depth or length of the sofa please? Sorry if that's a silly question.

Many thanks.

Best,

Vivienne

Answer
Hello Vivienne,

I would keep the "depth" at 38" or LESS. As far as the length goes, It can be just about anything because there is no height limit on the staircase ceiling. Everything depends on what the sofa needs to do when it gets to the very top of the staircase. Can it be tipped over and carried to the final location? Will it need to be kept vertical until it can be maneuvered into the final location? Is it a combination of both? I will say that if the sofa has to be stood on end once it reaches upstairs, the sofa's length needs to be 6" shorter than the ceiling is high to allow for sofa tipping room.

Let me know if this helps you out.

Thanks,

Harry

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky