Moving Furniture/reclining Sofa for basemet

Hi Harry,

Let me start out by saying how awesome it is that you do this for people. Now to the question.  I have my eye on this reclining sofa and chair set. I have included links to both below.  This for our basement and the doorway to that basement is only 30" w x 80" h. The Sofa dimensions are 85"W x 39"D x 40"H ( I am not sure if the feet at removable). Any advice you could offer is very much appreciated. I have also included a pic. of the doorway entry.  I can defiantly remove any doors necessary.

Thanks for your assistance.
Tony B.
Cincinnati, OH

Reclining Sofa  (85"W x 39"D x 40"H)

Recliner Chair ( 34"W x 39"D x 40"H)

Hello Tony,

The 40" back height is too much to jam through a 30" doorway. However, most reclining sofas and chairs are made so that their backs are removable. You will need to check with the store to see if your sofa and chair have this feature. The chair could be positioned into its full recline position, tipped on its side and taken down the stairs (if the back didn't come off).

Once the backs are removed, there will be no problem getting through the doorway AS LONG AS THE ARM HEIGHT IS LOWER THAN 30"!

I can't tell what happens when you get to the bottom of the stairway. If the sofa has to be stood on end at the bottom, the ceiling height will need to be AT LEAST 91" high to allow for ceiling tip clearance.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.