Moving Furniture/What size couch can I get into my apartment through this tiny hallway?!

Hallway In Question from the living room (where couch is going)
Hallway In Question fr  
Hello!  I need to buy a couch and before I do I want to make sure I can actually fit it into my apartment.  It needs to come through the front door and down a tiny hallway.  

The sofa:
Width-84 | Depth-39 | Height-42
Arm Height-25 | Seat Height-18

My front door is 31.25" wide and 79" tall.  Then the hallway is 32.25" wide.  And there's an arched doorway leading from the hallway into the living room where the couch is going that is 28.5" wide.

My feeling is this couch won't fit, but was hoping for professional confirmation!

Also, given the dimensions of this hallway, if you have an suggestions as to the dimensions of a couch that WOULD fit, or things I should keep in mind, I'd appreciate it.  

Thanks very much!!!

Hello Amy,

Unfortunately, this sofa doesn't have a chance maneuvering through those narrow dimensions. The 32" wide hallway and the 28" arched doorway are going to be the key factors. Based on a "standard" style sofa, you will need to keep the length LESS than 78". The height measurement should be LOWER than 31".You can get a sofa with more height as long as it has back cushions and "rear" legs that can be removed to get the final height down. The depth measurement should be 38" or LESS.

Let me know if I can help you further or if you want me to clarify anything.

Thank you,

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.