Moving Furniture/Small Hallway - Large Sofabed

Entrance Hall - Picture Taken From Sittingroom
Entrance Hall - Pictur  
Hello Harry!

I am on the brink of purchasing a sofabed, but am worried that it may not fit into the house. The measurements of the "Clarendon Suite 3 seat sofabed" are here: (apologies, this website has measurements in centimetres, but I have converted all other measurements below to approximate measurement in inches).

I emailed the company for more details, and got the following reply:
"The measurement of the back rest height from the floor is as follows: Clarendon approx 70cm (27.5 inches).....When the items are delivered they are already assembled. However, the feet/legs (approx 10cm (4 inches) in height) are not attached and the back cushions are lying down flat."

My front door is 83cm (32.5 inches) x 196cm (77 inches) - but - it opens into a small hall 172cm (67.5 inches) x 115cm (45 inches), (with 115cm (45 inches) being the length from the front door to the back of the hall wall) and the ceiling height is 240cm (94.5 inches).

The door to the sittingroom (where I hope to put the sofabed) is off the side of the hall and is 74cm (29 inches) wide by 198cm (78 inches) high. I enclose a photo of the hall taken from the sittingroom, as it is difficult to describe.

Do you think that the sofabed would fit through the front door via the small hallway into the sittingroom?

Thanks for your help,

Hello Grainne,

Thank you for the information you included. You did an excellent job. I see from the photo that there is a stairway in the corner. This will provide extra maneuvering room as the sofa is slanted in. The sofa height measurement will be low enough for the doorway into the final room. It will be a little bit snug coming into that hallway but there should be enough room to make it work. Is the front door removable if necessary?

All in all, I believe it can be maneuvered into the hallway then the doorway. The only other option to make it completely foolproof wood be to have a sofa length LESS than 193.04 cm. This shorter length would allow the sofa to be stood vertically in the front door and "turned" around the door frame and into the hallway.

I do think the sofa you want will fit but it will depend on the experience of the delivery people.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.