Moving Furniture/Sofa through a door

we are about to buy a lovely new sofa ( to go into our living room, but I woke up last night wondering if we could fit it in.  

The dimensions of the sofa are W246 x D94 x H76cm, boxed it is W248 x D92 x H70cm (no feet), will this fit through a door W74, H196cm.  The door is off our hallway which is 110cm wide (to the staircase) see photos.

Thanks for any advice.

ANSWER: Hello Jess,

Thank you for sending the picture and sofa link. The first thing you will need is a ceiling height of about 261.62 cm to allow for tipping room. It is possible to make this work but it will be close. The length of the sofa has me a little worried compared to the height of the doorway as well as the banister. The sofa will be on end and brought into the doorway from the bottom. At the same time it will lean back on to the railing. The main problem is that when it is in this position, it could jam up between the top of the door frame and the stairway. One thing for sure is that the legs will need to be off the sofa to fit through that doorway. There is no big difference weather it is boxed or not because the measurements are almost the same. If the same sofa was a lot shorter such as being LESS than 213 cm, it would have a more maneuvering advantage.

All in all I think it is possible but as I said it will be very close.

Let me know if you have any further info to add.

thanks for the reply, our ceiling height is only 255cm, does this mean its a no go?

We are really keen on having a nice big sofa, do you have any guidance on what the max dimensions we could look at are?

thankyou very much for all your advise, you may have just saved us return charges.

Hi Jess,

The 255 cm ceiling height won't be enough to allow for tipping room and if it did, it would be right against the ceiling. If you want to go with the same style of sofa, I would keep the length at LESS than 223.52 cm. The depth should be LESS than 96.52 cm and the finalized height should be LOWER than 73.66 cm.

Is there any chance of using a window in that room. I am assuming you are on the first floor and the sofa could be brought straight in. If it could be done this way, you could have any length sofa.

Let me know your thoughts and if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.