Moving Furniture/Will my sofa fit through door

My doorframe is 70cm wide and 198cm tall and I am just wondering if a sofa will fit through that is 223cm in length,82cm height and 125cm width.

Thanks in advance. How I've managed to live 32 years and have to move a sofa before is beyond me lol

ANSWER: Hello Trevor,

Everything depends on the style of the sofa. If it is the style where the arms and back are the same height, it WILL NOT fit unless the height measurement can be brought down BELOW 70 cm. If it is a "standard" style sofa where the back is higher than the arms it will have a chance but could be pretty tight. Is there anyway you can lower the height about 7 cm by removing the "rear" legs and/or removing back cushions or even compressing them? If you have a link to the sofa, send it to me and I will look it over. I am also assuming that it will be a straight shot in from delivery vehicle to final room location. If it isn't, let me know. The arm height on the sofa MUST BE LOWER than 70 cm. If for some reason the sofa has to be stood on end during delivery, the ceiling height will need to be at least 236 cm.

Let me know if I can help you further.

QUESTION: Hello Harry, thank you so much for coming back to me so promptly.

I've enclosed a link to the sofa below:-

I understand that there are plastic feet that screw onto the bottom and these can be removed but whether or not they make any difference to the overall height of the sofa I am not sure.

The current owner mananed to get this through a door that was 76cm wide

Once again, i appreciate your help

Hi Trevor,

A 76cm doorway would not be a problem for this sofa. It seems that the top can be compressed several cm and if it can be, it can be squeezed through your 70 cm doorway. There is no way that it won't be snug but it is doable. It really depends on how soft the top is. Maybe it can be compressed more than it looks like. If it was "very tight" going through a 76 cm door opening, it may be too tight for your doorway. Maybe you can find out from the seller if there was some more room for maneuvering left over as it went through their doorway. Can you remove your door if needed? If the people still had some wiggle room left over going through, I think your door is possible.

Let me know what you think.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.