Moving Furniture/Can I get this sofa through my porch

Front Porch
Front Porch  
Hi Harry...

Thinking about buying this sofa

We have a small porchway from our front door, with another door leading into our living room area (see attached pic).

The exterior door opens outwards and is approx 27.5" x 75"
The interior door opens inwards and is approx 28" x 78"
The porch is 31.5" long x 33" wide and has a height of 97"

Will the sofa have any chance of getting through?

Many thanks

Hello Neil,

Thank you for giving the measurements in inches. The 89cm sofa height is too much for those doorways. However, It appears that the back cushions are about 10cm higher than the frame back. The back cushions need to be compressed down to the frame back so that the sofa can be angled through. If they are easily pliable, it won't be much of a problem. If they a fairly stiff, it will be difficult. You don't want the leather to rub against the door frames and cause material damage. The ideal height of a "standard" style sofa should be 30" (76cm) or less for those doorways. You could check to see if the rear legs are removable. That may give and extra couple of cm.

All in all, without getting the height down, it will be pretty tight going in.

Let me know your thoughts AND thank you for the doorway photos.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.