Moving Furniture/Sofa in front room

Hi, Myself and my partner are looking to buy a new sofa but we are concerned that we will not be able to get it in our front room. Firstly, we have to get through the front door which is 75cm wide by 194cm high. Once we are through the front door we have our hallway which is only 83cm wide by 233m high (At no point does the hallway get any wider). At this stage i am assuming that we need to tilt the sofa so that it is standing up on its end.  Our front room doorway is about 50cm along the hallway (On the left hand side) once we're through the front door. The front room doorway is 74cm wide by 197cm high. I think the problem is going to be getting the sofa from our hallway into our front room as we have very little room in our hallway to manoeuver the sofa. Do you think we would be able to this sofa into our front room ( - Its the Large Sofa H86cm x D89cm x W200cm)? Many many thanks for your help, which is very much needed! Ben

Hello Ben,

Thanks for including all the measurements. I am afraid that this sofa is going to be a problem maneuvering in that hallway. The ceiling height is ok but the "width" of the hallway just isn't enough. Once the sofa is stood on end, there is no room to turn it in order to face the doorway. As soon as you try to turn it, it would hit the top of the door frame and the wall. You need to shorten the length of the sofa so that it is shorter than the doorway when stood on end. You want to be able to "turn" the sofa into the doorway and into the room. I can't tell if the back cushions are removable or not. If they are or even if the the rear legs are removable, it would make things much easier going through either doorway.

All in all you should look for a sofa that is shorter than 197 cm and a lowered back height by 5-7 cm.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.