Moving Furniture/Fitting sofa through door

QUESTION: Hi Harry, apologies if I am asking you to repeat yourself, but I would like to know whether you think we could fit a sofa with the following measurements:

Height:89cm/35in (we could reduce this by about 3cm, by taking off the feet), Width:205cm/81in, Depth:103cm/41in

through our living room door with the following measurements:

192cm high/72cm width

I'd be very grateful for any advice you could give.
Many thanks

ANSWER: Hello George,

It depends on the style of the sofa. I am going to assume that it is a standard style sofa where the back is higher than the arms. Even with the legs removed, it is going to be pretty tight. With the legs removed, the height still should be lowered ANOTHER 5-7 cm! The arm height needs to be LOWER than 72 cm.  If it is the type of sofa where the arms and back are all the same height.............that measurement MUST BE LOWER than 72 cm!

I am also assuming that it is a straight shot in for the sofa.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have further questions.

QUESTION: Thanks Harry. That's really helpful.

Looks like it's through the window then. Here is full info about the sofa$4-armchairs/all-sofa-collections/long-island-s

Many thanks

Hi George,

I checked over the "LONG ISLAND" sofa. It seems that the back cushions are several inches higher than the back. I don't know if they are removable or compressable. You stated that the legs were 3 cm but they also look like several inches (if I am looking at the right sofa). Between removing the legs and the back cushions or at least compressing them, I think it has a good chance of getting through that doorway.

Let me know your thoughts incase I have the wrong sofa.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.