Moving Furniture/Sectional to basement

QUESTION: I purchased the following sectional with the left and right side each measuring 84x37x39.  It is to go into a basement with a 30" door.  The doorway is directly in line with the front entrance door.  Will it fit?

ANSWER: Hello Dan,

This is going to be a pretty tight fit. The 39" height is really too much for a 30" doorway. The back cushions can be compressed quite a bit. The question is can it be lowered enough to squeeze through the doorway. It will need to be compressed down to the frame back. This is not easy to do when carrying and angling the sofa all at the same time. I was hoping that the "rear" legs were removable but they don't look like it in the photo. If they can get the back cushions compressed at least 6", it can be angled through with a straight run all the way.

It is going to be pretty tight and that isn't good for leather unless it is protected. Let me know your thoughts and if I can help you further. Thanks for including the sofa link.

Keep me posted,

QUESTION: Thank you for the quick reply, Harry.  I talked to the store and they stated that the legs can be removed and that the frame back measures 31" so, assuming the back cushion can compress completely to the frame back edge, does that change your thoughts at all?

Hi Dan,

That is good news with the legs! If they can get the back cushions compressed, it CAN be angled through.

The 31" frame back height is the key. As long as that can be obtained or at least near it you should be good to go.

Let me know how everything goes.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.