Moving Furniture/Will sectional fit down basement stairs with landing?

Basement Stairs
Basement Stairs  

My wife and I are currently looking at purchasing a sectional to put down in our recently finished basement.  The one sectional that we've liked the most is the Axis sectional from Crate & Barrel (

The overall width of our basement staircase is 40".  On the stairs located above the landing there is a hand rail which reduces the width for that portion of the staircase to 37".  The landing is a perfect 40" x 40" and the ceiling height is 6'6" (78").

Below is a run down on the individual pieces' dimensions for this collection:

Axis Corner Sectional ( 43"W x 43"D x 32"H.

Axis Armless Loveseat ( 63"W x 43"D x 32"H

Axis Sectional Chaise ( 36"W x 67"D x 32"H

Axis Arm Sofa ( 70"W x 43"D x 32"H

Now, the only piece that appears like it would fit without much hassle is the CHAISE since it has two sides that would work within the 40" at the landing.

However, the other pieces all have me worried since the depth on them is 43".  We are having a hard time seeing how that would fit down the landing which is only 40".  Is there some way these pieces could be angled which would allow for us to turn them at the landing so we could swing the 32" side?

I hope this makes sense, I've include a picture as well that may or may not help.

ANSWER: Hi Greg,

I think you are going to be ok with the set but I need to know if it will be moved through a doorway and if so, what is the door opening width?  I also need to know if it is a solid wall all the way down the stairs to the landing or is it a open stairway / railing?

Let me know and we can go from there.

Top of Stairs
Top of Stairs  

Bottom of Stairs
Bottom of Stairs  

The only doorway it will be moved through will be that of our front door to the house which has a 35" width.  There is no doorway at the top or bottom of the stairs to the basement.

It is a solid wall all the way down the stairs to the landing.  Attached are a few photos.

Thanks for taking the time to review our question.

Hi Greg,

Great pictures, thanks!  I do believe that you are going to be in good shape with the delivery. The one saving grace on the longer sofa is that it has one arm. That end will go down the stairs first and will be able to be wrapped around the turn without having an arm in the way. As it is wrapped around that turn, the sofa can be stood more vertically as it is inched around the corner. I will tell you that the walls may get a bit smudged from being a tight area but there should not be anything of major concerns. The corner section may actually be more of a tightness problem than the other pieces because of its 90 degree angled back.

All in all you should be ok as long as the delivery people are experienced.

Let me know if I can help you further or you need me to clarify anything.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.