Moving Furniture/Wedge Piece

We are thinking of buying a sectional that has a wedge.  We would need to go around a 30inch area at the top of the stairs and then to get it down a 29" door opening and stairway.  Once into the stairway there is approx. 2 extra inches.  The cushions do not come off on this set and we believe the set is on a metal frame (due to motion).  All the other pieces break into two parts and can be easily reassembled but not this one.  If it won't fit can you provide us with a furniture disassembly/assembly company so we could call for an estimate. There is no other way of entry.
Thanks so much.

L: 51" x W: 51" x H: 41"
Weight: 72 lbs.

Hello Eileen,

The 41" height on the sofa is going to be too much for a 29" doorway. You would have to lower the back height 8"-9" and that if it is a "semi-curved" back. If it is the type of back that is formed by a 90 degree angle, the height would need to be lowered to BELOW 29".

Here are a couple of companies that are very reputable in your area. Just remember that you will need to do the disassembly again if and when it is moved out.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Moving Furniture

Harry Lipsky

Moving your furniture. I would like to answer all questions dealing with the proper techniques of how to move ANY type of furniture, including difficult doorways and stairways. Also, all questions dealing with the proper packing of breakables including antiques. All general questions concerning the moving and storage industry will be answered. I cannot recommend a particular mover in a person`s neighborhood but i can explain how to obtain a company in good standing with the community. I have been in the moving and storage industry for almost four decades! I am located in Massachusetts.

I have almost four decades of experience in the moving & storage industry. When I was a small boy my father introduced me into the moving business and I have been hooked ever since. At first I started out as a young laborer untill I was old enough to drive a furniture van. As time went on I drove 18-wheelers around the country moving small shipments as well as large corporate relocations. I was taught the old school methods by men that were craftsman in their field. I learned how to pack the most delicate of breakables as well as museum pieces. It was common practice to do estimates and even the actual ratings on interstate jobs. Doing commercial moves were a big part of my moving career over the years. Some of the big names that I delt with were "GE","MICROSOFT","FIDELITY INVESTMENTS" AND "AMERICAN EXPRESS". As the years went by my family retired and sold the business (not my choice). I went on to establish my own moving company which ran for 12 years before I phased out the physical moving itself. Today I have developed a consulting service where I advise future furniture buyers as well as people moving for the first time on what to expect from their upcoming adventure. Furniture buyers are advised on what size furniture will fit through their narrow doorways and tight hallways. By choosing furniture with the right dimensions will narrow down the probability of the furniture being returned back to the store. That is not a scenario people want after waiting 8-12 weeks for their new furniture. I can also help people to understand the proper procedures of a first time move in their lives. I tell them what is to be expected,how they can save money,how to choose a good mover and what is involved with getting the packing done.

I have a FACEBOOK page for PRE-MOVE STRATEGIES. Please become a fan! I would like to have all people that I have helped to leave their comments on the FACEBOOK page.

I have a high school diploma from Swampscott High School............Swampscott, MA. Immediately after high school I entered the family business where I stayed for 20 years before moving on to my own business endeavors.